Thursday 8 March 2012

My Leeds United memories: Meeting Alan Smith

It was December 2002. As a Leeds United junior member, aged 10, I like any other youngster was looking forward to a White Christmas. However, this year, something I never could have imagined was about to happen. A letter through the post for me from Leeds United containing a Christmas card. This, at first, seemed ordinary but it certainly wasn't!
Inside the card was a message, telling me I'd been picked at random as a lucky junior member who would get the opportunity to meet present Leeds United player and (at the time) fan's favourite, Alan Smith.
I, of course, was overjoyed. Here I was with the chance to meet one of my idols of the time, at Elland Road. On the day of meeting him I had the feeling of exciting mixed with somewhat nerves, as I''m sure many would be at the prospect of meeting a hero. The night is one I'll always remember, I had a photo with Smith, got to ask him a couple of questions, and signed merchandise.
The feeling of getting to meet my hero is a great one, and the memory will always remain, of course many will say that it's not as good now after Smith's move to our rivals in Manchester, but for me, when I was 10, it was brilliant! He may not be an idol or a hero to me any more, but at the time he was, and it was great being able to meet him. Everyone should get to meet their idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment